June 26, 2018
By Ijendu Iheaka
Chief Uzo Azubuike, Abia State
Agriculture Commissioner has promised to resolve the problem leading to alleged
confiscation of a public abattoir in Ohafia by Nigerian army’s 14 Brigade in
Ohafia.
Azubuike made this promise while
speaking with our reporter in Aba, Abia State on Wednesday.
Azubuike said he had no prior
knowledge of the problem but promised to act urgently now that he had learnt of
it when informed through due process by the Permanent Secretary.
This blog learnt that a public
abattoir at Ohafia which existed before the establishment of the 14 Brigade
military cantonment in the area had been taken over by the Nigerian army in the
area.
A reliable source at the Ohafia abattoir
said that recently, the 14 Brigade administrators fenced the place and enfolded
the abattoir into its compound, using perimeter fence to claim the facility and
control its business.
“Before the army captured the
abattoir, it was serving the people of Ohafia and then it was under the
Ministry of Agriculture, Abia State.
“It was the ministry that assigned
Veterinary Doctors to the abattoir to inspect the animals, prepare them for
slaughtering and the meat from the animals.
“The abattoir was also a source of
revenue to the state but when the 14 Brigade of the Nigerian Army fenced it
inside its compound, they refused to allow the ministry of Agriculture manage
it.
“The Army from the time of fencing
it some years back refused to allow Public Veterinary Doctors assigned to
oversee the place by the state government to enter the abattoir claiming it is
inside their compound.
“They also claimed that they
have personnel, who we learnt are not Veterinary Doctors, who examined the
animals before they are slaughtered.
“The butchers using the abattoir who
now refuse to pay their service fees alleged that the army demands the abattoir
revenue from them hence they (the butchers) cannot pay the state government
thereafter in other to avoid double taxation.
“This has become a problem to the
people of Ohafia because it had resulted in incessant complaints that dead
animals are shared there and sold out to the public because the abattoir is not
monitored properly by Abia state Veterinary Doctors”.
“We, the people in this area want
the army to allow the state government take over control of the abattoir to
ensure its operations follow legal operational rules in Abia state to ensure
the health of Ohafia meat consumers”, Mike Okeke, a resident of Ohafia told our
reporter.
A source who pleaded anonymity at
the Ministry of Agriculture, Umuahia said that many letters had been written to
the 14 Brigade Commanders and Administrators since 2016.
He said that the letters were asking
the army to effect release of the abattoir to the state but regretted that
since these years, there had been no response from them to the ministry of
Agriculture.
When contacted, the Army PRO, 14
Brigade, Ohafia, Major Oyegoke Badamasi through text messages and calls said
that he traveled out of the state and could not say anything on a matter he
had no knowledge of.