Thursday, 30 June 2016

Elechi Amadi, Ojo Maduekwe, two prominent Nigerians die same day.

June 30, 2016



By Ijendu Iheaka


A popular Nigerian author, Capt. Elechi Amadi, died on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 in his home town of Aluu in River State, Nigeria where he had lived all his life.

Amadi died at the age of 82 years at about 3:15 pm following a week’s illness.

A close confidant to the late author said that the deceased had earlier been scheduled for Wednesday’s annual book reading programme in Port Harcourt by Total Exploration and Production.

However, Amadi could not make it to the even at which his wife, Preye represented him.

Newsmen in Port Harcourt heard that the state government had made plans to move the sick Amadi overseas for better medical treatment before his death.

Amadi was born on May 12, 1934 in Aluu, Ikwere Local Government Area of Rivers State. He attended Government College, Umuahia from 1948 – 1952 and Survey School, Oyo from 1953- 1954.

He later attended University of Ibadan from 1955 – 1959 from which he obtained a degree in Physics and Mathematics.

He worked as a surveyor and later became a teacher, a position which took him to several schools including the Nigerian Military School, Zaria where he taught from 1963- 1966. 

He later joined the Nigerian Army and served in the Army all through the period of the Nigerian Civil war but later retired at the rank of a captain.

Amadi in 1973 became a Permanent Secretary in Rivers State from 1973 – 1983, a Commissioner for Education from 1987 – 1988 and a Commissioner for Lands and Housing from 1989 – 1990.

His close associate said that Amadi’s remains had been taken to the Ashes-to-Ashes Morgue in Port Harcourt.

The late literary icon authored famous books in the category of novels, plays, poems and essays. His novels include The Concubine (1966), The Great Ponds (1969), Sunset in Biafra (1973), The Slave (1978), and Estrangement (1986).

His plays are Isiburu (1973), Peppersoup and The road (1977), Dancer of Johannesburg (1978), The Woman of Calabar (2002), and Collected Plays (2004)

Amadi essays and poems were published under the titles, Ethics in Nigerian Culture (1982) and Speaking and Singing (2003). 

Meanwhile, Chief Nyesom Wike, the Rivers State governor has expressed sadness over the death of Captain Elechi Amadi, rtd., describing his passage as a great loss to Nigeria.

Wike in a condolence message to Amadi’s family, Rivers State citizens and Nigerians said that Amadi’s contributions to the nation’s development were outstanding.

He said that the late authors works promoted Rivers State, the Niger Delta and the Country hence he would be celebrated by the state and all lovers of literature nationwide.

The governor prayed to God to grant his family the strength to bear the irreparable loss adding that his achievements in different spheres of national life will always be remembered.

Later, same Wednesday, the death of a former Minister of Foreign Affairs and Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain, Ojo Maduekwe was announced.

Maduekwe who is from Asaga, Ohafia Local Government Area of Abia State died at about 7 pm in a hospital in Abuja at age 71.

A close associate of the former minister told newsmen that Maduekwe was returning to Nigeria from the United State of America via Dubai when he became ill.

“He fell ill aboard a flight from Dubai and he was rushed to the hospital as soon as the plane landed in Abuja, but he died before doctors could do much,” the associate said.

He was not able to provide additional details on the death of the statesman as he was over-taken by his emotions and broke down crying on the phone.

Maduekwe was recently appointed to the PDP Board of Trustees as the secretary.

The PDP BoT Chairman, Alhaji Walid Jibrin who spoke to newsmen from Saudi Arabia said the late Maduekwe died when his services were needed most.

“I was waiting for him to come back from U.S. where he travelled to so that we can find a way of addressing the problems in the party. He was a good man and an intelligent person, who can always find a way out of situations”, he said.

“The party will mourn him. We have lost a great man. I would have loved to come back immediately, but we have started the process already, but I will devote my time here in Saudi Arabia to pray for his family,” he said.

Chief Ojo Maduekwe was born on May 6, 1945 and died on June 29, 2016.

Apart from being a former minister and a party chieftain, available information on his bio-data was sketchy at the time of this publication.

Tuesday, 28 June 2016

Abia state state governor urges calm over his reported removal by an Abuja high court


June 28, 2016





The Abia State Governor, Dr Okezie Ikpeazu has urged Abia state citizens not to panic over the news of his reported removal by the Abuja high court.

Ikpeazu gave the advice on Monday afternoon through a media release signed by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Enyinnaya Apollos in response to a judgment obtained against him by Mr Uche Ogar.

The governor said that he had faith in the judiciary and the rule of law, stressing that he has instructed his lawyers to file an appeal immediately against the said judgment.

He said that he was an appointee of the state government from 2011 to 2014, when he served as the General Manager, Abia State Passengers Integrated Manifest and Safety Scheme (ASPIMSS).

Ikpeazu further said that he also served during the same period as the first Deputy General Manager, Abia State Environmental Protection Agency (ASEPA) Aba and Environs prior to his resignation to contest the elections.

He said that the state was during the time deducting his taxes at source before paying him his salary adding that when he needed the tax clearance in 2014, he applied to the BIR which duly issued them to him.

Ikpeazu said that he remained the state governor according to law and would await the outcome of the matter at the court of appeal.
Ogar, one of the 2015 guber elections candidates in Abia was on Monday declared the rightful candidate for the election by an Abuja high court which disqualified governor Okezie Ikpeazu.

Ogar who was a candidate under the PDP obtained the ruling from an Abuja federal high court presided over by Justice Okon Abang which declared Ikpeazu not qualified to hold the office.

The court presided over by Justice Okon Abang sustained Ogah's argument in his suit that Ikpeazu evaded tax prior to his election.

Following Ogar’s submission, the judge disqualified Ikpeazu and said that the governorship position will go to Ogar who scored the second highest votes at the PDP guber primaries in Umuahia.

The court therefore ordered the removal of governor Ikpeazu for tendering false information to the PDP in the course of processing his candidature for the election.

It further ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to declare Ogar who scored the second highest votes at the PDP primary as the rightful candidate.

Ikpeazu scored a total of 487 votes while Ogar followed with103 votes at the primaries which threw up Ikpeazu as the PDP flag-bearer for the 2015 guber elections.

Ikpeazu has faced a number of court cases since coming into office in May 2015 and Ogar's suit comes four months behind the conclusion of Dr Alex Otti’s.
Otti who is the flagbearer of All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA) challenged Ikpeazu's victory at the election which Ikpeazu later won at the Supreme court on February 3, 2016.

The argument that Ikpeazu evaded tax as an Abia state government appointtee is still the subject of another court case pending between Chief Friday Nwosu and governor Ikpeazu in an Abuja high court.

However, a lawyer and a PDP member who desired anonymity has argued that Ogar walked out of the venue of the primaries in anger without endorsing the result of the PDP primaries.

The lawyer said that following such action which meant that Ogar did not accept the election, he cannot benefit from an election which he presumed did not hold at all.

“The implication of this action is that even if the court proves Ikpeazu guilty of forgery, Ogar's action at the primaries will still rob him of the position if the PDP can provide the evidence that he did not accept the election.
“As a result he cannot be made a governor at this time through this particular election in Abia although he has a good name and leadership qualities that can take him there”, the lawyer said.


Friday, 24 June 2016

Abia to spend N6.8 billion on 4.6 kilometer road leading to Ariaria market



By Ijendu Iheaka


The Abia State governor, Dr Okezie Ikpeazu on Thursday said that the reconstruction of Faulks road-Ukwu Mango - Abayi-Ariaria junction leading to Ariaria market in Aba will cost about N6.8 billion. 

Ikpeazu made this disclosure at the Abayi-Ariaria axis of the road while flagging off the reconstruction of the 4.6 kilometer road contracted to SETRACO Construction Company. 

He noted that the company SETRACO took seven months to design the plan for the reconstruction of the road stressing that he was committed to ensuring that its perennial flooding problem was solved. 

Ikpeazu said that the reconstruction would involve the construction of the Ife-Obara basin for the channeling of run-off water from the area while urging property owners at the basin remove them. 

He said that the project would also involve the construction of a 5.6 kilometer drainage system which would collect water from Ifeobara basin near Ukwu- Mango to Aba River in Ogbor Hill.

He said that he promised to rebuild the road during his electioneering in 2015 adding that he has come to fulfill the promise. 

He urged the people not to disrupt the work and promised to be visiting the site every month to monitor the progress of the work on the site. 

Earlier, the Commissioner for Works, Mr Eziuche Ubani expressed pity for the people living in that area of the city because of the stress they go through during rainy season. 

He regretted that past administrations flagged off the reconstruction of that road and never continued the work but thanked God for changing their story in Ikpeazu's regime. 

The Chairman, Aba North Traditional Rulers Council, Eze Love Nwogu expressed happiness over the plan to reconstruct Faulk-Ukwu Mango-Abayi Ariaria link road by the Ikpeazu's regime. 

He prayed that God would keep the governor and the construction company workers safe to ensure continued work and completion of the road on time.

Merging NERFUND, BoI will defeat purpose, NASSI tells government




June 23, 2016

By Ijendu Iheaka




The Abia chapter of the Nigerian Association of Small Scale Industrialists (NASSI) has urged the Federal Government to establish another intervention agency rather than merge NERFUND with the Bank of Industry (BoI).

Its Director-General, Mr Imo Anasonye, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Aba, Abia on Thursday that merging NERFUND with BoI would make it hard for small scale industries to access funds.

``There should be another intervention agency on its own created with the same purpose like NERFUND that can manage funds disbursement to and recovery from small and medium industrialists.

``Merging NERFUND with BoI will not help the small scale industrialists. An agency should be there to process and manage the disbursement and recovery process so that when we pass through the agency, it will go to BoI to get the funds for us,” he said.

The director general said that leaving the work to BoI alone would bug down the system and defeat the purpose because it would be cumbersome for the bank to handle the SMEs with their large population.

Anasonye said that the new agency would ensure that funds created to grow small and medium industries were meaningfully managed and recycled for effectiveness.

He said that creating intervention agencies without making them actualise their purpose was counter-productive, hence the numerous challenges the SMEs faced.

He suggested that the “structural defects” which caused NERFUND to be shut down should be corrected to make the new agency more accountable to achieve its goals.

The Federal Government on June 16 issued a circular directing the immediate closure of the National Economic Reconstruction Fund (NERFUND) and later said it had begun the process of merging it with the BoI.

Abia cannot afford to conduct local government elections now - Ikpeazu



June 20, 2016


By Ijendu Iheaka

Governor Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia State has said that conducting Abia state local council elections would consume about N800 million which the state cannot afford at the moment.

Ikpeazu disclosed this on Monday evening while speaking at the Town Hall Meeting organized for Abia South Senatorial zone at Obehie, in Ukwa LGA and at Abia Polytechnic in Aba South LGA.

 “It has been three months now that I asked ABSIEC to give me the bill for local government elections and what they gave me was almost N800 million. 

“And there is no way that the expenses will not be closer to N800 million than to N500 million because if you take up ad-hoc staff and you refuse to pay them, they will knock on your door.

“If I am given N1.8 billion it will not be wise for me to take N800 million for local government elections. We must find a way out”, he said.

The governor at the meeting directed the 17 local government Transition Committee Chairmen in the state to employ at least two physically challenged people each as special advisers.

He said that the employment would ensure that the interest of physically challenged persons in the state was protected in governance.

He said that the state of Port Harcourt road in Aba was giving him sleepless night stressing that its deplorable condition was stalling the productivity of the local companies there.

Ikpeazu regretted that he could not do the work alone because he does not have the funds to reconstruct the road in a standard model that would make it last long.

 “When I think of Port Harcourt road, it will take a drainage system of about 13 kilometers which may involve breaking down some houses but I will not fold my hands and watch Port Harcourt road remain like that”, he said.

He said that World Bank and the state had entered into agreement to reconstruct the road before he became the governor adding that he hoped work would start on the road before December 2016.

Ikpeazu promised to ensure that youths who have handiwork were given the opportunity to be take part in N2 billion fund for primary schools refurbishment in order to empower them.

He urged Abia youths without handiwork to learn one in order to get opportunity to do some jobs for the government adding that the time of carrying files along the roads had passed.