Friday, 31 May 2024

Tinubu's government has not abandoned any road Project in Abia - Works Controller

By Ijendu Iheaka

Umuahia. May 28, 2024

 The Federal Controller of Works, for Abia, Mr Tony Onwubiko, says the federal government under President Bola Tinubu has not abandoned any road project in the state.

The controller disclosed this in an interview with our Correspondent in Umuahia on Monday.

Onwubiko said that both road maintenance and construction had been sustained by the current federal government for the good of Abia people.

“We have two sets of projects; the main contracts and the maintenance works embarked upon by the Ministry.

“The main projects we have now are the rehabilitation and reconstruction of Enugu – Port Harcourt Dual Carriage Way, section two, being handled by Arab Contractors.

“The rehabilitation and dualization of Aba – Ikot Ekpene road in Abia and Akwa Ibom State by the CGGC Global Projects.

“The rehabilitation of Uturu – Isiukwuato – Akara road by Eighteenth Engineering Company International,” he said.

He named other roads handled by the federal government to include the Construction of Umuuchichi – Umueze – GZ Industries road by GZ Industries.

According to him, there is also the rehabilitation of Osisioma – Owerri road wherre the NNPC Depot is located by Rodo Nigeria Limited.

Onwubiko said the Umuahia – Bende – Ohafia road, section two and Umuahia – Ikwuano – Ikot Ekpene Road by Heartland Nigeria Limited are part of the federal projects in Abia.

He also said that Bende – Arochukwu road by Heartland Nigeria Limited was one of the major ongoing contracts of the federal government in Abia.

The controller said that the federal government’s decision to make states pay compensation for right of way was one of its challenges hindering some jobs in the state.

He said although Gov. Alex Otti’s administration had shown interest in paying compensations unlike the past administration, Abia is yet to acquire right of way for any federal government construction.

The controller said that the federal government used three types of funding patterns to provide for its projects.

Onwubiko said the funding patterns include budget allocation, the Tax Credit Scheme and the Islamic Bank loan called Sukuk.

He however, said that budget allocation and Sukuk were yet to pay for projects they funded while only tax credit scheme through NNPC provided for its supported projects.

“Abia has three roads under NNPC funding which is part of the Tax Credit Scheme.

“They are Osisioma – Owerri road by Rodo Nigeria Limited, Aba – Ikot Ekpene road by CGGC and Umuahia – Ikot Ekpene road by Heartland Nigeria Limited.

He said that apart from the challenge of rainy season, when budget allocation and Sukuk provide funds, projects they were funding in Abia would be fast-paced.

Abia residents urge Otti to stop touting in the state

 By Ijendu Iheaka 


Umuahia. May 21, 2024.

 Abia residents have called on Gov. Alex Otti to take strategic and decisive moves to stop the menace of touts on Abia roads and markets.

The residents spoke to our Correspondent in separate interviews on Tuesday.

They said they were tired of the menace of touts who reap where they did not sow in Abia and discomfort innocent residents.

They said unless the government went beyond radio announcements banning touting, it would still continue in Abia.

Mr Abel Asomugha, a resident of Umuahia said that the government can only stop touting in Abia with action and not just words.

“We thank Governor Alex Otti for radio announcements saying he does not want touts in the state which we believed made them to go away some months ago.

“But they have come out again and are ruthless in menacing people.

“What government should do is to make a law banning touting and such activities in the state.

“Then government should set up a strong task force supported by armed security agencies who should be roving 24 hours around the areas touts operate to ensure they are cleared”, he said

Mrs Ndidiamaka Uzodimma said that the reappearance of touts in Abia meant that the state governor had omitted something he needed to have done.

She said “the desire to stop touting in the state was a welcome development which could only succeed when words match right actions.

“The last administration made noise about taking out touts in Abia but could not do so because the leaders of the touts were in that government”.

Uzodimma therefore urged the governor to ensure that he deals with anybody in his government sponsoring touts anywhere in the state.

“I also support the idea of making a law through the Abia House of Assembly and enforcing it with a task force that would operate alongside armed security to stop touting at all cost”, she said.

Mr John Aguiyi called on Otti to meet with motor unions leaders, market unions leaders and traditional rulers to discuss the need to remove touts from Abia.

“A good number of touts in Abia are sponsored by these people and to solve a problem, you must get to the root and the root of touting in Abia are these people.

“If in deed governor Alex Otti wants to stop touting in Abia, he should quickly go and warn these people to desist from sponsoring touts.

“He should also through a legislation ban touting and create a strong task force assisted by armed personnel to stop touting in Abia”, he said.

Gov Otti commiserate Army over death of Soldier in Aba

 By Ijendu Iheaka

Umuahia. May 18, 2024.

Governor Alex Otti of Abia has commiserated with the Nigerian Army over the murder of a soldier by criminal elements in Aba on Friday evening.

The consolation is contained in a press statement signed by the governor’s press secretary, Kazie Ukoh and made available to newsmen in Abia on Saturday evening.

The governor who was out of the state for an event in England when the incident happened learnt of it through his aides.

“The Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Homeland Security, Mr. Chukwunenye Alajemba, said the incident left a soldier dead, another wounded, and currently receiving treatment at a hospital.

“The Governor wishes to commiserate with the Nigeria Army over this unfortunate occurrence.

“He commends the officers and men of the force for exercising restraint in the face of this unprovoked attack.

“He specifically thanked the Commander 14 Brigade, Ohafia, Brig.Gen. Olusola Diya, for his prompt intervention and ensuring that peace continues to prevail in the city of Aba”, the statement said.

Otti further called on the general public to remain calm and advised residents to go about their lawful businesses without fear.

He also urged them to cooperate with relevant security agencies by providing them with useful information as they work to fish out the perpetrators of this heinous attack.

Hoodlums kill military personnel, steal weapon in Aba

By Ijendu Iheaka 


Umuahia. May 18, 2024.

Hoodlums on Friday attacked an Army checkpoint located near Aba main motor park in Abia and killed a soldier on duty at the post.

A reliable military personnel who spoke to our Correspondent when contacted confirmed the incident.

The source said that the hoodlums injured another soldier who is now in the intensive care unit of a hospital.

He also said that the hoodlums who he said must be operating in the city took away the gun of the murdered soldier.

“In the night of Friday, May 17, some gunmen came to one of our army checkpoints in Aba and gunned down our soldier.

“They also wounded another soldier who is in intensive care unit in a hospital now.

“They took away the weapon of the soldier who was killed”, he narrated.

The officer who spoke under anonymously said that he is not permitted to speak to the media.

He, however confirmed that the Commander of 14 Brigade Command, Ohafia, Abia, Brig. Gen. Olusola Diya was in Aba on Saturday to know what happened.

He said that investigations were going on to ascertain what happened and unravel the perpetrators of that act at the checkpoint on Friday night in Aba.

He regretted that anybody could allow such an act to go on which is capable of shattering the peace and progress of Aba.

Otti declares Bible Society of Nigeria Board meeting open in Umuahia

 By Ijendu Iheaka 


Umuahia. May 14, 2024.

Gov. Alex Otti of Abia on Wednesday declared open the 57th National Board Meeting of the Bible Society of Nigeria (BSN) while promising his government’s support for the Bible project.

Otti who is the host governor expressed delight for being invited to the meeting which held at the Federal Medical Centre Chapel in Umuahia, Abia.

The governor who was represented by his Special Assistant on Religious Matters, Apostle Kingsley Wiper, said that the government will be part of the project of the BSN.

He referenced the contribution of King James’ Bible translation and printing to Britain becoming a powerful country with very robust economy so made by the sale of the Bible.

The governor later declared the meeting open in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

The General Secretary, Bible Society of Nigeria (BSN), Pastor Samuel Sanusi said the first language Bible in Nigeria was Efik followed by Yoruba and then Igbo Bible.

He said the Igbo Bible version published in 1906 is still the one in circulation today while other languages have improved on their earliest translations.

He urged Igbo Christians to rise to the challenge and upgrade the earliest Igbo translation because of the dynamism of language to enable the younger generation read Igbo Bibles.

Sanusi challenged the Eastern Zone of the organization to raise money for the completion of a new Igbo translation with current Igbo language autography to enable its publication soonest.

Most Rev. Isaac Nwaobia, BSN Abia Area Chairman in his speech said that the zone had looked forward to this day to rekindle the work of the BSN in the Eastern Zone.

Nwaobia, who is the Archbishop of Aba Ecclesiastical Province, Church of Nigeria, Anglican Communion, regretted that Afikpo, the land of Dr Akanu Ibiam, who anchored the birth of BSN there is being taken over by the Islamic religion.

He said this backwardness caused by division among churches and selfishness among church pastors was not commendable.

“We ask everyone to partner with the BSN and be active to ensure the purpose of its establishment is achieved”, he said.

Nwaobia urged the principal officers, Board members and delegates to consider building a Bible House in the Eastern Zone as it had done in other zones.

He also asked them to give Igbo people a study Bible as it obtains in other languages, produce a new version of Igbo Bible and to give the zone an Evangelism bus.

He said this would encourage the work in the zone and give the people of the East a sense of belonging.

The President and Board Chairman of BSN, Bishop Olubunmi Banwo said the meeting is used for the encouragement of BSN members in host zones and to take stock of the organization’s Progress.

He regretted that the Eastern Zone had lagged behind for a long time in the work and wondered what was the problem.

He said that the organization hoped to see the Eastern Zone get back on its feet in the Bible work at the end of the meeting in Abia.