September 16, 2020
By Ijendu Iheaka
Early morning rains in Aba, Abia’s Commercial nerve center, on Wednesday caused the collapse of a three-storey building under construction, trapping four persons with one dead and one rescued.
The building, located at No 85 Azikiwe road, by Asa road , off Kent Street, in Aba South Local Government Area of the state collapsed at about 5:15am on Wednesday according to eyewitnesses.
The building had two of its three floors at the backside pulled down by rain while the front remained intact hours after a downpour in the city early morning on Wednesday.
Our Correspondent learnt from the only survivor who gave his name as Uche Kalu, that there were five other young persons who were not so lucky as himself who was rescued by another young boy living in the vicinity.
The remains of one of the yet-to-be identified victims was seen hanging with stretched out leg, and rubbles dividing him into two from the head at an entrance suggesting he was escaping before getting trapped.
Kalu, who was barely audible due to exhaustion, said that the collapsed building had been under construction for about a year now with some homeless youths using it as shelter.
He however, told our Correspondent that he and some of the other victims were taking refuge in the building when the incident happened.
Kalu who said he is a bricklayer added that he was concluding discussions with one of the trapped victims about a job they were to do, when the collapsing building separated them and buried him under rubbles.
Kalu, bruised all over his head by rubbles, was later rushed to a nearby hospital by sympathizers where he is currently receiving treatment.
Ten hours after the incident occurred, no rescue team from Abia government had been sighted at the scene of the collapsed building.
However, members of Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) who arrived the scene about 8:00am climbed into the building, but came down helpless as they could do nothing with no excavator to lift the rubbles.
Mr Wisdom Okoro, Member, Practice Committee, Council of Registered Builders of Nigeria, representing Abia State at the Council said the building had no professional builder attached to it.
He said unless government insists on having professional builders supervising buildings under construction, lives of citizens would be saved and costs of buildings reduced.
He called on Abia government to discontinue the construction of the building and set up a panel to investigate the construction of that building to forestall future occurrences.
A Building Engineer and resident who visited the scene, Mr Leonard Eze described the building as a death trap and a disaster awaiting to happen fast.
He faulted the Aba South LGA Town Planners and other relevant government agencies, stressing that it was crystal clear that the building was structurally faulty and certainly set to cause havoc.
"Some building contractors in this Aba will use poor methods/techniques, combined with substandard rods, poorly molded blocks, improper cement grades, disjointed support pillars and when relevant government agencies come calling, they'll pay them off and they'll go thinking they can have their cake and eat it”, he said
“How can one use substandard materials and expect a miracle; some government agent ought to be supervising the job, but what do you see, shoddy oversight riddled with corruption which led to the loss of these lives that could have been avoided”, he said.
Mr John Ugwoeri, Chairman, Nigerian Institute of Builders (NIOB) Abia Chapter said this was the fourth collapsed building being recorded in Abia this year.
He blamed Abia government for the calamity adding that unless the government listens to the body and heeds their call to use professional builders, such problems would not be averted.