By Ijendu Iheaka
February 3, 2017
The immediate past Commissioner for Lands and Survey in Anambra State, Chief John Okoli-Akrika has condemned the demand for 2016 income tax from Abia state government from him.
Okoli-Akrika disclosed this to our reporter at the Chief Magistrate Court premises in Aba South Local
government area where he appeared on behalf of a client.
Okoli-Akrika, a practicing lawyer in Aba, Abia State
said that the Attorney General of Abia, Chief Ume Kalu denied issuing him a
fiat (an order) alleging that he had not paid 2016 income tax in Abia.
The lawyer who complained bitterly said that the
business of his client which required a fiat from the Attorney-General’s office
was aborted because the office said he must pay Abia 2016 tax.
“I have been paying my taxes in Abia state until
five years ago when I moved to Anambra due to my appointment. That was when I
started paying there. And after my tenure I returned to my practice in Aba.
“I applied for a fiat to enable me prosecute a
matter on behalf of a client. I have paid my taxes up to December 31, 2016 in
Anambra state.
“I also attached my tax clearance certificate to the
application for fiat. But quite surprisingly, I was called on phone and told
that the Attorney General of Abia directed that I should pay 2016 tax again in
Abia state”, he said.
The lawyer noted that he was stationed in Anambra
state for a long time due to the nature of his job which also warranted that he
should pay his tax in Anambra.
Okoli-Akrika wondered how Abia state government
should ask him to pay for a tax regime he had been cleared of by Anambra state
government.
“What I am saying is that there is every need for
the various governments in the states and the federal government to synergize
on matters of taxation.
“There are thousands of Nigerians out there,
especially the low income earners and the down-trodden who are subjected to
multiple taxation for everything.
“You leave one local government to another, you pay
tax. It remains for one to be asked to pay tax for air. So why subject the citizens to multiple and
unwarranted taxation”.
Okoli-Akrika questioned the payment of infrastructure
tax in Abia state and asked that such a tax should be abolished
especially when the government is not accounting for its use.
No comments:
Post a Comment