Tuesday, 30 May 2017

IPOB's sit-at-home order records total compliance in Aba


May 29, 2017


By Ijendu Iheaka


The sit-at-home order declared by the Indigenous People’s of Biafra (IPOB) across the country to honour people who died during the civil war on Tuesday recorded total compliance in Aba.

Our reporter who monitored the situation in Aba, said that all the five major markets in Aba including Ariaria International Market were shut.

According to the reporter roads in the commercial city were deserted as transporters and other road users kept away.

Some Aba residents who work in various establishments and who left their houses very early Tuesday morning hoping that the order would fail reported being stranded at their offices with no means of transportation to return home.

Joint patrol of the military, police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) were seen in strategic locations as Armoured Personnel Carriers were stationed in volatile areas.

The our reporter also noted that there had been aerial surveillance with police helicopters sent since Sunday from the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) in Abuja hovering over the city.

Some residents of the commercial hub who spoke to our reporter expressed satisfaction with compliance to the order.

A resident, Mr Azubuike Ibe said the compliance had demonstrated unity among the Igbos.

“I am happy for this total compliance because since we were children, no government has ever given us this feeling of oneness.

“But today, we are seeing this; we are happy and thank God for it. It shows that Igbos will progress from now on,” he said.

Another resident, Mr Kelechi Nkemdirim said they were marking the 50th anniversary of the defunct Biafra and also mourned the death of persons who sacrificed their lives during the Nigerian civil war.

Nkemdirim said he was happy that all Igbos have come to realise the importance of the day and given it the attention it deserved.

Meanwhile the Nigerian Police Area Command in Aba, Abia State said that the commercial city had remained calm during the sit-at-home order on Tuesday by the IPOB.

The Aba Area Commander, ACP Peter Okpara told our reporter in Aba on Tuesday that there had been no report of any harassment in the city.

“The area has been relatively calm except for few miscreants who wanted to take advantage of the sit-at-home order to mount road block and collect money from motorists at Ikot Ekpene Road.

“Another set also mounted such illegal road block along Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway but when they heard our siren, they dispersed,” he said.

Okpara said that his men removed bonfires set by some of the miscreants at a few spots on the road to stop movement.

He said almost all the banks in Aba were closed because their staff could not access means of transportation to their offices.

The commander noted that it was only the UBA on Okigwe Road that opened for business.

Okpara said that they had no record of any clash with the IPOB or any other pro-Biafra group because they were at home as directed by the order.

“No arrests were made because it would have no advantage but would have created unnecessary tension as the few persons on the streets were orderly,” he said

No comments:

Post a Comment