November 18, 2018
By Ijendu Iheaka
Fire Saturday night
razed about 156 shops at the timber and furniture section of Nkwo Ngwa market in
Aba South local government area leaving many families grieving for their
losses.
Okechukwu Lawrence, chairman
of the market traders association told newsmen at the market on Sunday that he
got a phone call at about 7:00 pm on Saturday informing him of the fire prompting him to race to the scene.
He said he rushed to
the market on getting the information where he and the market taskforce members
broke its gates to take in sympathizers to help quench the fire using borehole water.
“We tried our best
before the Fire Service came in. We used our borehole to get water to quench
the fire but the hoodlums around here later broke the borehole in their bid to
steal our pump while the fire was raging.
“That was how I saw it
yesterday. The fire was too much and it gulped millions of Naira worth of goods
and properties here.
“We have some building
material sellers on all these front shops. The second row of shops is furniture
sellers and other things.
“We recorded a very
big loss here but there was no loss of life or injury”, he said.
He debunked claims
that his members attacked the fire service personnel who came to quench the
fire.
Lawrence said that it
was a group of hoodlums called Aroo Boys who attacked the fire service men.
He said the Aroo Boys
further entered the market, broke doors carried rice, stockfish, clothes and
other people’s properties and left.
He said they could
have stopped the fire with Fire Service help before it destroyed up to 100
shops but were hindered by Ozuomba road which the government suspended work on
two years ago.
He appealed to the
government to come to their aid, help them by fix the road and to attend to the
needs bothering them in the market.
The Abia State Police
Commissioner, Chris Ezeike who visited the scene Sunday morning said he came on
a visit to access and sympathize with the victims of the fire.
He noted that that
zone of the market was full of materials easily susceptible to fire outbreaks.
Ezeike however called
for calm and peace adding that the fire which was said to have been started by
a generating set would be investigated immediately to find its cause.
Rtd Captain Awa Udonsi,
Senior Special Adviser to Governor Okezie Ikpeazu on Security, said that the
governor had been notified about the incident and would involve the concerned
ministries.
No comments:
Post a Comment