By Ijendu Iheaka
November 7, 2016
The South East Zonal Coordinator, Nigeria Shippers’ Council, Mr Christian Chimezie has said that the first container would land at Ntigha Dry Port in Isiala Ngwa North by December, 2017.
Chimezie said that the new committee inaugurated by the Abia State governor, Dr Okezie Ikpeazu was working hard to realize the December 2017 target for the delivery of the port.
The zonal coordinator of NSC disclosed this in Aba on Monday during an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Aba.
He pointed out that the government was committed to realizing the Ntigha Dry Port in order to boost businesses in the South East Zone and decongest Onne Port.
“The issue of the Ntigha Dry Port is making a tremendous progress. Right now the Committee has been working since the 25th of January 2016 the Abia State governor; Dr Okezie Ikpeazu inaugurated a new committee to take charge.
“Since then, we have held four meetings. The level we have reached now is that the concessionaire has secured funds to build the facility.
“What remains now is just to get the approval to clear the site because the foreign company that is to build the facility said that they are going to investigate the site to find out if its soil can carry the project.
“So last week we went to the Ministry of Physical Planning and Development, Abia State and we have given them about 15 documents relating to the approval of that site.
“Once they release it and we give it to the construction company, East Gate, they will start the construction. The target of the committee is that by December 2017, the first container will drop at the Ntigha Dry Port” he said.
In January 2016, Ikpeazu inaugurated the Ntigha Dry Port Implementation Committee to ensure the realization of the port which had delayed its take-off since 2010.
No comments:
Post a Comment